Berlin Packaging in Packaging World Magazine
The 108-year-old Fuller Brush brand is sporting a new look for its Stanley 100 detergent.
Best known for its original door-to-door sales force, Fuller Brush had already expanded into catalog distribution and a handful of online and retail channels. But it needed a makeover to penetrate mass market chains as well as appeal to younger consumers.
In 2014, as part of that strategy, new owners Victory Park Capital decided to replace separate 130-oz liquid and 10-lb powdered laundry detergents with a single reformulated liquid product that would be more concentrated to fit in a smaller container for easier merchandising as well as easier handling. Then they took a step they knew could make or break the initiative: creating a custom package for its new Stanley 100 detergent.
The result, designed by Berlin Packaging’s Studio One Eleven, is a custom 50-oz HDPE 25% PCR bottle that helped get the company’s foot in the door with top brick-and-mortar retailers and set the stage for a major new market presence in 2015. The package contain [New package boasts 25% recycled content.] s enough detergent for 100 loads of laundry and features:
- A milk-jug-inspired transparent bottle that pays homage to the company’s long history in the marketplace
- A novel ergonomic handle that makes it easy to pour with one hand
- A stock 43-mm drain back closure system sourced from India that prevents leaking during shipment
- A 0.5-oz dosing cap that measures one load – no measurement lines are required inside the cap
- Environmentally friendly packaging made from 25% recycled materials